The following works by Cyril Bradley Rootham (CBR) have been published commercially:
& other works
in C minor
in D major
- Op.51 "For the Fallen" and other works:
Northern Sinfonia of England, Sinfonia Chorus, BBC Northern Singers, Richard Hickox.
Also includes CBR's Op.38 "The Stolen Child" (choral), Op.93 "City in the West" (choral), Op.61 "Miniature Suite" (orchestral) and Op.84 "The Psalm of Adonis" (orchestral).
Warner Classics 5059232
Download Rootham: For the Fallen from Presto Classical: available as the complete album or as the individual works, in MP3 or FLAC (lossless) format.
Reviewed by Rob Barnett on MusicWeb International.
- Op.86 "Symphony No 1 in C minor": London Philharmonic Orchestra, Vernon Handley.
Available in the Lyrita 4-CD box set "British Symphonies" from Presto Classical: includes symphonies by 12 other British composers. You can also download the four tracks for Rootham: Symphony No 1 in MP3 or FLAC (lossless) format.
Link to reviews by Rob Barnett and Jeffrey Davis and on Classical.Net.
Op.97 "Symphony No 2 in D major": BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Scottish Philharmonic Singers, Vernon Handley.
Available on CD as Rootham: Symphony No 2 from Presto Classical.
This is part of a double CD set which also includes "Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity".
Read reviews by Jeffrey Davis and The Classical Reviewer.
of Christ's Nativity
in G Minor
"Miniature Suite" etc
Op.81 "Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity": Trinity Boys Choir, BBC Singers, BBC Concert Orchestra, Vernon Handley - soloists Teresa Cahill, Philip Langridge, Michael Rippon.
Available on CD as Rootham: Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity from Presto Classical.
This is part of a double CD set which also includes Rootham's "Symphony No 2 in D major".
Good news: the vocal scores, instrumental parts and full score for Op.81 "Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity" can be hired from Stainer & Bell as ref HL167.
- Op.75 "Violin Sonata in G Minor": Jacqueline Roche (violin), Robert Stevenson (piano).
Also includes violin sonatas by Joseph Holbrooke and Walford Davies, and a cello sonatina by Arthur Benjamin.
Dutton Epoch CDLX7219
Available on CD as Rootham: Violin Sonata in G minor from Presto Classical.
Reviewed by Rob Barnett on MusicWeb International.
- Op.61 "Miniature Suite for String Orchestra and Piano": Martin Roscoe (piano), Guildhall Strings, Robert Salter.
A collection titled "Peacock Pie", with works by Cyril Rootham, Armstrong Gibbs, Madeleine Dring, Robin Milford and Gordon Jacob.
The complete album is available on CD as Peacock Pie from the Hyperion Archive Service, or download just Rootham: Miniature Suite for string orchestra and piano in FLAC or MP3 format.
Read the review by Steve Schwartz on Classical.Net
- Op.28 "Epinikion (Song of Victory)" +
Op.37 "Elegiac Rhapsody on an Old Church Melody":
Graham Barber (organ of Ripon Cathedral): various works on "Great European Organs No. 66"
Priory Records B00008OETY
Available from Amazon as a download or on CD as Great European Organs No. 66.
- Op.90 "Evening Service in E Minor":
included in "The Treasury of English Church Music", reissued on CD from the original HMV LPs. The CBR "Evening Service" was recorded in Wells Cathedral in 1965 when Denys Pouncey was cathedral organist.
Warner Classics 0846402
Presto Classical sell the 5-CD box set as The Treasury of English Church Music: individual tracks are also available for download in MP3 or FLAC lossless format.
There's a full review of the Treasury of English Church Music on a PDF file on Paul Hale's website.
- Op.64 "Suite in Three Movements by CBR is included on a very fine collection of music for flute and piano titled
"Idyll: The English Flute Unheard". On this CD James Dutton (flute) and Oliver Davies (piano) perform works by nine English composers,
all with connections to the Royal College of Music. This collection provides the first commercial recording of each of these works, making the CD a fascinating acquisition.
Willowhayne Records MPR101
Available from Presto Classical as a download or on CD as Idyll: The English Flute Unheard.
The British Library has a comprehensive sound archive at cadensa.bl.uk which contains details of several CBR recordings (including a few which are not available commercially):
- four minutes of Symphony No 1: conducted by Cyril Rootham (1936)
- "Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis in E Minor": conducted by David Willcocks (1958)
- "South Wind" recorded by Joan Carden (1964)
- "Ode on the Morning of Christ's Nativity": BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley (1975)
- Symphony No 2: Scottish Symphony Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley (1984)
- "For the Fallen": performance by the Broadheath Singers conducted by Robert Tucker in 1995
- "The Lady of Shalott": first performance, by the Broadheath Singers conducted by Robert Tucker in 1999
If you are a registered reader at the British Library, you can request a hearing of any of these works. But you have to attend the British Library in person: you cannot listen over the internet.
We know of two recordings of CBR's choral works made by amateur choral societies. Eventually we hope to make both these recordings available for study purposes:
- Op.33 "The Lady of Shalott": performance by the Broadheath Singers conducted by Robert Tucker, in the School Hall at Eton College on 18 September 1999.
- Op.51 "For the Fallen": performance by the Chiswick Choir conducted by Alistair Jones, in the church of St. Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park on 26 November 2011: now available to play on our "Listen" page.
Corrections or additions?
Please do let us know about any other recordings through our Feedback page.